Thursday, May 5, 2016

JEHOVAH

The name "Jehovah" appears in only seven verses of the King James Version (KJV).  Three times, "Jehovah" occurs followed by a hyphen and another name.  That strikes me as ironic, in that, I have seen several lists of the names of God which list at least six in such combinations.  One example showing eight different hyphenated names, is found in the book The Names of God by Nathan Stone; Stone lists "Jehovah-jireh; Jehovah-rophe; Jehovah-nissi; Jehiah-M'Kaddesh; Jehovah-shalom; Jehovah-tsidkenu; Jehovah-rohi; and Jehovah-shammah." And yet, here are all the verses which contain the name "Jehovah"; notice that only three are hyphenated:

Genesis 22:14 - "And Abraham called the name of that place Jehovah-jireh: as it is said to this day, In the mount of the LORD it shall be seen."
Exodus 6:3 - "And I appeared unto Abraham, unto Isaac, and unto Jacob, by the name of God Almighty, but by My name JEHOVAH was I not known to them."
Exodus 17:15 - "And Moses built an altar, and called the name of it Jehovah-nissi."
Judges 6:24 - "Then Gideon built an altar there unto the LORD, and called it Jehovah-shalom: unto this day it is yet in Ophrah of the Abi-ezrites."
Psalm 83:18 - "That men may know that Thou, whose name alone is JEHOVAH, art The Most High over all the earth."
Isaiah 12:2 - "Behold, God is my salvation; I will trust, and not be afraid: for the LORD JEHOVAH is my strength and my song; He also is become my salvation."
Isaiah 26:4 - "Trust ye in the LORD forever: for in the LORD JEHOVAH is everlasting strength."

That being said, the Hebrew word from which the name "Jehovah," is translated, is also translated "LORD" ( יְהֹוָה  Yĕhovah  - Strong's Concordance number H3068);  יְהֹוָה  as "LORD," occurs 6519 times in 5521 verses in the KJV, none of which appear with hyphenation. 

Another bit of irony, is that the Bible translates יְהֹוָה (YHVH - yod, he, vav, he) for us in Exodus 3:14, which reads:  "And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and He said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you."  Because those speaking Hebrew feared mispronouncing God's name (probably based upon a misunderstanding of Ex. 20:7), and because the words "I AM" do not represent a name in English, but are a subject followed by a verb, the word "LORD" became accepted as the translation. 

Finally, perhaps the ultimate of ironies, is that the Jews worry so much about misspeaking God's name, and yet, God Himself says that He regards His Word to be more sacred than His name:  David wrote:  "I will worship toward Thy holy temple, and praise Thy name for Thy loving-kindness and for Thy truth: for Thou hast magnified Thy Word above all Thy name."  In the New Testament, Jesus is called both "The Word," and "The Truth" (Jn. 1:1, 14; 14:6)!




No comments:

Post a Comment