THE JEWS REQUIRE A SIGN IN ORDER TO BELIEVE
* Matthew 12:38 - "Then certain of the scribes and of the Pharisees answered, saying, Master, we would see a sign from Thee."
* Matthew 16:1 - "The Pharisees also with the Sadducees came, and tempting desired Him that He would show them a sign from heaven."
* Luke 11:16 - "And others, tempting Him, sought of Him a sign from heaven."
THE LORD'S RESPONSE TO THE JEWS
* Matthew 12:38-41 - "But He answered and said unto them, An evil and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given to it, but the sign of the prophet Jonah: for as Jonah was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of Man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth. The men of Nineveh shall rise in judgment with this generation, and shall condemn it: because they repented at the preaching of Jonah; and, behold, a greater than Jonah is here."
* Matthew 16:4 - "A wicked and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given unto it, but the sign of the prophet Jonah. And He left them, and departed."
* Luke 11:29-30 - "And when the people were gathered thick together, He began to say, This is an evil generation: they seek a sign; and there shall no sign be given it, but the sign of Jonah the prophet. For as Jonah was a sign unto the Ninevites, so shall also the Son of Man be to this generation."
JESUS HAD ALREADY PROVIDED ENOUGH SIGNS
* Matthew 8:1-4 - He healed a leper.
* Matthew 8:5-13 - He healed of the Centurion's servant.
* Matthew 8:1-4 - He healed Peter's mother-in-law.
* Matthew 8:23-27 - He calmed the storm.
* Matthew 8:28-34 - He cast out demons.
* Matthew 9:1-8 - He healed the paralytic.
* Matthew 9:18-26 - He raised the daughter of Jairus.
* Matthew 9:27-31 - He opened the eyes of two blind men.
* Matthew 9:32-33 - He healed the man unable to speak.
* Matthew 12:10-13 - He restored a withered hand.
* Matthew 12:22 - He healed the demon-possessed man.
* Luke 5:1-11 - He provided a huge catch of fish.
* Luke 7:11-18 - He raised the widow's son.
* Luke 8:43-48 - He healed a woman with an issue of blood.
WHY IS "THE SIGN OF JONAH SO IMPORTANT?
* Romans 1:16-17 - The Apostle Paul wrote: "...I am not ashamed of the Gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek. For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith."
* 1 Corinthians 15:1-4 - Paul defined the Gospel: "...I declare unto you the Gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand; by which also ye are saved....For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures; and that He was buried, and that He rose again the third day according to the Scriptures!"
* Romans 10:9-13 - Paul explained how one becomes a born-again believer: "...if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised Him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. For the Scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on Him shall not be ashamed....for the same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon Him. For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved."
JESUS DIED TO BE OUR SAVIOR!
GOD RAISED HIM TO BE OUR LORD!