Monday, December 17, 2012

DRESS FOR THE OCCASION

There are times in a person's life when, no matter how devoted he is to living for Jesus Christ, no matter how hard he tries to get along with his fellow man, he will fail miserably to be Christ-like!  The sad thing is, having dedicated my life to Christ for over forty years and expecting that I would be farther along spiritually, I still see a whole lot more of me than I do Jesus when I look into "life's mirror."  James wrote concerning the "mirror":  (my notes throughout are in italics)

"But be ye doers of the Word (God's will for individual believers in each and every circumstance), and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.  For if any be a hearer of the Word, and not a doer, he is like unto a man beholding his natural face in a glass (that is, in a mirror which reflects the kind of person one is):  For he beholdeth himself (a sinner saved by grace), and goeth his way (note it is not God's way, but his), and straightway forgetteth what manner of man he was (away from the mirror of God's Word, he forgets there is nothing good within him except the Holy Spirit, and he wants others to respect him as though he was something special).  But whoso looketh into the perfect Law of Liberty, and continueth therein (he lives his life according to God's will for each step he takes), he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed (the things he says and does please the Lord)."  (Jam. 1:22-25).

The Apostle Paul wrote, "For though I be free from all men, yet have I made myself servant unto all, that I might gain the more . . . To the weak became I as weak, that I might gain the weak: I am made all things to all men, that I might by all means save some" (1 Cor. 9:19-22).  In another place, he wrote, "If it be possible, as much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men" (Rom. 12:18).  It takes humility to live one's life according to the customs of others, and while we do not necessarily understand why they do what they do, if it does not contradict God's Word, I believe we should comply to their traditions. 

I found this out recently when I went to a family member's wedding.  When told I was not properly dressed for the occasion, and that my attire was "showing disrespect" to the wedding party, at first, I thought the comments being made to me were disrespectful.  Perhaps the tone gave me that opinion.  Regardless, after about three or four folks mentioned it to me, I swallowed my pride and bought the proper "wedding garment."  It is amazing how quickly my anger left me as I realized I had brought joy and peace to those whom I love.  I was so glad I did not say what I thought, nor refuse to attend the wedding as my "flesh" wanted so much to do.  Instead, I remembered those verses above, and genuinely enjoyed the wedding and the fellowship my "new threads" afforded me.
 
When it come right down to it, Jesus became human to bring peace and joy;
We can bring peace and joy by becoming less human and more Christ-like! 




  
  

No comments:

Post a Comment