Monday, May 27, 2013

MEMORIAL DAYS

It has been a few years since my wife and I travelled to Hillsboro, Illinois to visit the graves of my Grandpa Clayton H. Cory and my Grandma Vena Ross Masters Cory.  I was not sure in which cemetery they were buried, so we went to the shop of the man who made tombstones for Hillsboro and some of the other small towns in Montgomery County.  He told me they were buried in Butler Cemetery, and we found them after much searching.  I remember missing them that day, even though they had been gone since 1960.  I also remember feeling that they somehow knew I was there to honor their memory.  Strange, isn't it?  My understanding of what the Scriptures have to say about such knowledge on the part of those who have died, didn't seem to matter; I felt they were happy we were there.

In reality, I can only assume they were both born again believers in Jesus Christ, because, for one thing, it is impossible to know who is saved, and who is not.  We can observe the "fruit" of others and make an educated guess, but we really won't know for certain until we get to heaven.  The only person I am absolutely certain that is born again, is me, and based upon my "fruit," I sometimes even wonder about myself.  When I do question my relationship with my Creator, I remember what He did, and is doing, for me.  He began changing me into the Lord's image on January 31, 1971, and I am literally forever grateful!

There are many people who will be shocked that they are not allowed into heaven when they die.  We read in Matthew 7:22-23,  "Many will say to Me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Thy name? and in Thy name have cast out devils? and in Thy name done many wonderful works?  And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from Me, ye that work iniquity."  I am sure those who knew them would see their religious works and be convinced of their eternal home, but they would be wrong.  Those "righteous" men were religious, but had no Father/son relationship with God.  They were "doing" instead of "trusting."

To the born again believer, there are many "Memorial Days" each year, and they are far more important than the one we celebrate today.  The Apostle Paul wrote, "After the same manner also He took the cup, when He had supped, saying, This cup is the new testament in My blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of Me.  For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord's death till He come" (1 Cor. 11:25-26).

For the believer, the Lord's Supper IS Memorial Day!  But only until He returns!    

No comments:

Post a Comment