"The word "Babylon" may mean 'confusion' or 'the gate of God.' During the building of the tower of Babel, God confused the language; thus, the definition of 'confusion' is fitting. The other meaning of Babylon, 'gate of God,' suggests self-redemption.""Self-redemption" is another word for "religion." Religion, all religion, is man's effort to satisfy the requirements necessary to appease a god. Genuine Christianity, often referred to as a Father/child relationship with God, understands that nothing man can do, or avoid doing, will qualify him to spend eternity with God; we simply accept the gift of salvation provided for us by Christ's death, burial, and resurrection (1 Cor. 15:1-4; Eph. 2:8-9)! With that in mind, let's take another look at the person riding on the back of the Beast in Revelation 17.
Her name will be "MYSTERY, BABYLON THE GREAT, THE MOTHER OF HARLOTS AND ABOMINATIONS OF THE EARTH" (Rev. 17:5).
MYSTERY - Many believe she is the Roman Catholic Church due to her seven "mysteries":
* Baptism (works - needed for salvation);
* Confirmation (works - needed to receive the Holy Spirit);
* Eucharist (works - needed to continue be saved);
* Penance (works - needed to "stay saved" because sins "un-save you");
* Matrimony (works - without it, you are sinning sexually);
* Anointing the sick (works - for healing);
* Holy Orders (required for ordination as a deacon, priest, or bishop);
BABYLON THE GREAT: The world's largest religion requiring works as a gate to God.
THE MOTHER OF HARLOTS: The religion which spawned thousands of religions.
ABOMINATIONS OF THE EARTH: The religion that worships a woman.
Becoming a child of God requires one thing: FAITH
(Jn. 1:12; 3:16; Rom. 10:9; Gal. 3:1-3; Eph. 2:8-9; etc.)!