Saturday, November 16, 2013

IT WAS FINISHED FROM THE BEGINNING

The writer of the Book of Hebrews reveals that, as far as God is concerned, the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus Christ, was a done-deal even before He created the Universe!  In Hebrews 4:3, he wrote:  "For we which have believed do enter into rest, as He said, As I have sworn in My wrath, if they shall enter into My rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world."  The context has to do with a contrast between those who were forbidden to enter into the Promised Land because of their unbelief (Heb. 3:15-19), and those of us who have believed the Gospel message, ceased trying to work our way to heaven through religion, and have trusted in the finished work of Jesus on our behalf (Heb. 4:1-16). 

Throughout the Bible, there are several examples of what the word "finished" means.  Although it is translated from several Hebrew and Greek words, it always has to do with the end of some activity.  For example:  the Creation of the Universe (Gen. 2:1); the building of the Tabernacle (Ex. 40:33); the writing of the Torah (Deut. 31:24); the building of the Temple (1 Kgs. 9:25); the chaos of the Tribulation (Dan. 12:7); the mission of the Lord (Jn. 17:4); and the Lord's life itself (Jn. 19:30).  So, what does Hebrews 4:3 mean when it says the provision for our rest was finished from the foundation of the world?  The Prophet Isaiah wrote: 

"Remember the former things of old: for I am God, and there is none else; I am God, and there is none like Me, declaring the end from the beginning, and from ancient times the things that are not yet done, saying, My counsel shall stand, and I will do all My pleasure:  calling a ravenous bird from the east, the man that executeth My counsel from a far country: yea, I have spoken it, I will also bring it to pass; I have purposed it, I will also do it" (Isa 46:9-11).

In other words, God knows what is going to happen, because He will bring it to pass!  Here are some examples:
*  Mt. 13:35 - things kept "secret from the foundation of the world."
*  Mt. 25:34 - the "kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world."
*  Eph. 1:4 - "He hath chosen us in Him before the foundation of the world."
*  1 Pet. 1:19-20 - "a lamb...foreordained before the foundation of the world."
*  Rev. 13:8; 17:8 - "whose names are not written in the book of life of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world." 

That which is prophecy to man, is ancient history to God!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment