Monday, September 26, 2016

JESUS AS THE "I AM" IN JOHN'S GOSPEL

The Gospel of John is significantly different from the Synoptic Gospels, in that, the Gospels of Matthew, Mark, and Luke, were written soon after the Lord's Resurrection and His Ascension to heaven, while John's Gospel may have actually been written much later, perhaps even after John experienced his vision as recorded in the Book of Revelation.  The Synoptics are totally focused upon Christ's life on earth as Israel's Messianic King, while John's Gospel is focused upon Jesus as Creator God, and His being the great "I AM!"  While I have no "manuscript evidence" that proves this theory, John's Gospel appears to be the result of the writer having additional revelation (pardon the pun).  Here are just a few of John's "I AM's":   

John 5:43 - "I AM come in My Father's name...."
John 6:48 - "I AM that bread of life."
John 7:29 - "But I know Him: for I AM from Him, and He hath sent Me."
John 8:12 - "...I AM the light of the world...."
John 8:18 - "I AM one that bear witness of Myself...."
John 8:23 - "...I AM from above: ye are of this world; I am not of this world."
John 8:24 - "...ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I AM...."
John 8:28 - "...When ye have lifted up the Son of man, then shall ye know that I AM....."
John 8:58 - "...Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I AM."
John 9:5 - "As long as I AM in the world, I AM the light of the world."
John 10:9 - "I AM the door: by Me if any man enter in, he shall be saved...."
John 10:11 - "I AM the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth His life for the sheep."
John 10:36 - "Say ye of Him...Thou blasphemest; because I said, I AM the Son of God?"
John 11:25 - "...I AM the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in Me...shall...live."
John 12:46 - "I AM come a light into the world...."
John 13:13 - "Ye call Me Master and Lord: and ye say well; for I AM."
John 13:19 - "...I tell you before it...come to pass, ye may believe that I AM."
John 14:6 - "Jesus saith unto him, I AM the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by Me."
John 15:1 - "I AM the true vine, and My Father is the husbandman."
John 17:16 - "They are not of the world, even as I AM not of the world."
John 18:6 - "As soon then as He had said unto them, I AM, they went backward, and fell to the ground."
John 18:8 - "Jesus answered, I have told you that I AM: if therefore ye seek Me, let these go their way."
John 18:37 - "...Thou sayest that I AM a king. To this end was I born, and for this cause came I into the world...."
John 19:21 - "...Write not, The King of the Jews; but that He said, I AM King of the Jews."

His enemies knew He was declaring Himself to be God; do you!







No comments:

Post a Comment