Have you ever heard people say, "You must simply follow your heart?" They assure those foolish enough to believe them, that "everyone is really good at heart," and that "true happiness is simply fulfilling the imaginations and the desires of your heart!" There are even pastors who have huge followings because they preach this lie; because they preach what tickles their misguided flock's ears! But what does the Word of God have to say about man's heart? Here are just ten examples:
* Genesis 6:5 - "And GOD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually."
* Genesis 8:21 - "And the LORD smelled a sweet savour; and the LORD said in His heart, I will not again curse the ground anymore for man's sake; for the imagination of man's heart is evil from his youth; neither will I again smite any more every thing living, as I have done."
* Proverbs 6:16-19 - "These six things doth the LORD hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto Him: A proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood, a heart that deviseth wicked imaginations, feet that be swift in running to mischief, a false witness that speaketh lies, and he that soweth discord among brethren."
* Jeremiah 7:23-24 - "But this thing commanded I them, saying, Obey My voice, and I will be your God, and ye shall be My people: and walk ye in all the ways that I have commanded you, that it may be well unto you. But they hearkened not, nor inclined their ear, but walked in the counsels and in the imagination of their evil heart, and went backward, and not forward."
* Jeremiah 9:13-16 - "And the LORD saith, Because they have...have walked after the imagination of their own heart...I will scatter them also among the heathen, whom neither they nor their fathers have known: and I will send a sword after them, till I have consumed them."
* Jeremiah 11:8 - "Yet they obeyed not, nor inclined their ear, but walked every one in the imagination of their evil heart: therefore I will bring upon them all the words of this covenant, which I commanded them to do; but they did them not."
* Jeremiah 16:12 - "And ye have done worse than your fathers; for, behold, ye walk every one after the imagination of his evil heart, that they may not hearken unto Me."
* Jeremiah 18:12 - "And they said, There is no hope: but we will walk after our own devices, and we will every one do the imagination of his evil heart."
* Matthew 15:18-20 - "...those things which proceed out of the mouth come forth from the heart; and they defile the man. For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies: these are the things which defile a man...."
* Romans 1:21-22 - "Because that, when they knew God, they glorified Him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools."
So what is the solution? How can our thoughts and the imaginations of our hearts be changed?
* Ezekiel 36:26-27 - "A new heart also will I give you, and a new Spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh. And I will put My Spirit within you, and cause you to walk in My statutes, and ye shall keep My judgments, and do them."
* John 14:16-17, 26 - Jesus said, "...I will pray the Father, and He shall give you another Comforter, that He may abide with you forever; even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth Him not, neither knoweth Him: but ye know Him; for He dwelleth with you, and shall be in you....But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in My name, He shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you."