Wednesday, November 21, 2012

HE ALONE IS WORTHY

As a born again believer in Jesus Christ by the mercy and grace of God, and one priviledged to be used of the Lord to minister and bless others, I have, on rare occasion, received the praise of man.  I find that I am torn between two diametrically opposed responses:  I am grateful that others appreciate "my contribution" to their lives, but inwardly, I know that if they knew the real me, they more likely would be disgusted by me!  On the one hand, I am filled with pride and a false sense of worth, and on the other, I am totally humbled that the Lord would use such a wretch like me!

You see, by nature, I am a self-centered, self-absorbed, very unloving person.  When I look at myself in the mirror of God's Word, I see how little I resemble Jesus and I mourn.  However, every once in a while, I have the priviledge of being filled with God's Spirit, and in those, often far too short moments in time, I am totally Christ-like!  It is usually during those rare occasions that others tend to praise me.  The irony is, apart from the power and working of God's Spirit, there is absolutely nothing praise worthy about me!  It is Christ, working in me, that is worthy of praise!  God's Word says that it is during those occasions that "...it is God (who) worketh in (me) both to will and to do of His good pleasure" (Phil. 2:13)!  During those rare times, "I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave Himself for me" (Gal. 2:20).
 
Far greater men than I, have realized they were also unworthy of man's praise.  Jacob said, "I am not worthy of the least of all the mercies, and of all the truth, which thou hast shewed unto thy servant...." (Gen. 32:10).  A Roman leader recognized his unworthiness in Matthew 8:8, which says, "The centurion answered and said, Lord, I am not worthy that Thou shouldest come under my roof: but speak the word only, and my servant shall be healed."  Even John the Baptist was quick to declare his unworthiness to be used of the Lord.  In Mark 1:7, John said, "There cometh One mightier than I after me, the latchet of whose shoes I am not worthy to stoop down and unloose."  No, it is God alone who is worthy of man's praise (Ps. 8:5; 18:3; Heb. 2:7-9; Rev. 4:9-11; 5:2, 4, 9, 12; 19:1).
 
  
Thanksgiving is a great holiday for praising the only One worthy of praise!

No comments:

Post a Comment