Sunday, November 11, 2012

VETERANS' DAY

To tell you the truth (I try to do so 100% of the time), I am not exactly sure how this holiday should be written; is it "Veterans Day," "Veteran's Day," or "Veterans' Day?"  I have chosen the latter because the first could merely point to a day when veterans get to shop at a discount.  The second could be interpreted to be a day to honor a single veteran.  But the third not only honors all veterans, it does so in a way that shows the bond that veterans of all services have, and it honors veterans throughout our nation's entire history.  There is a fraternity-like unity that veterans have with each other.  It is a respect for those who have walked in our shoes.

Military veterans have committed themselves by stating the following: 
"I, _____, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God."

Notice the differences in the Oath of Office of the President of the United States:
"I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my Ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."  The military oath mentions "enemies foreign and domestic," "true faith and allegiance," the written document which contains the code of conduct (UCMJ), and of course, the oath is stated in such a way as to acknowledge the need for God's help! Admittedly, most Presidents have placed their hand upon the Bible, and added the words "so help me God."  However, it is not mandated by law.

Presidents are kept out of harm's way; Presidents are paid enough to qualify them for higher taxes (over $250,000); Presidents have a staff, while the majority of veterans were the staff; Presidents get a home while veterans spend years away from home; Presidents leave office after four or eight years as millionaires, while veterans may have a little savings after twenty years of service.  I could go on, but I think I have made my point. 
 
Veterans AND THEIR FAMILIES deserve to be honored for their sacrificial service!

 

   

No comments:

Post a Comment