Saturday, November 10, 2012

SEPARATION OF CHURCH AND STATE

It is amazing to me how one's position on the concept of a wall of separation between the Church and the State, varies or fluctuates depending upon the current issues being debated.  For instance, typically, most conservative Christians are absolutely certain that Jefferson's "hypothetical wall" was intended to protect citizens from governmental restrictions on the freedom of worship, but that the Bible should be the foundation for civil law.  The vast majority of the rest of the U.S. population, typically holds to the view that religion should have no control over the law of the land; that the mere reference to a religion, especially the religion of the majority, is to be seen as an endorsement, which, they are quick to point out, is strictly forbidden by the First Amendment.

Being a conservative Christian, I understand why the Bible, being inspired by God, should be the basis for all civil law.  After all, God knows what is best for man.  I also understand why those who disagree, tend to feel that Christianity is "cramming its teachings down the throats" of non-Christians.  In other words, one group wants their religious beliefs to be recognized as the foundation of civil authority, and the other wants civil authority to go out of its way to avoid being influenced by the majority religion. 

But, unlike the majority of my conservative brethren, I have to agree with the other side's position that the Bible and Christianity should hold no special place with respect to the law.  I know, many reading this will think I have either lost my mind, or that I am one of the "wolves in sheep's clothing."  And although in saying so, I risk of being "stoned to death," I feel I need to point out something that apparently has failed to become obvious to my conservative brethren.  We ARE the religion of the majority, but what happens when that is no longer the case?  Do we actually want Sharia Law to become the law of the land should, God forbid, the Muslims become the majority in America?  I do not think so! 

Faith should be a personal matter between the individual and his God.  It should influence his thoughts, words, and deeds.  It should be shared with others of like mind, and with those who seek to discover the basis for one's way of life.  It should not be the law of the land!



    

 

No comments:

Post a Comment