Friday, November 23, 2012

JUDGING OTHERS

Over the years, I have been accused of judging others simply by choosing not to participate in whatever activity was going on around me.  I cannot tell you how many times my refusing to drink alcohol has resulted in a "sermon" about my being a "judge."  I have never spoken out against someone smoking or drinking, nor have I ever indicated I think poorly of those who do.  In fact, my understanding of God's Word leads me to believe each individual should live his life according to faith.  If he would feel comfortable smoking or drinking in the Lord's presence, then fine.  If not, then he should stop.  This principle is clearly taught in Romans 14:22-23, which says, "Hast thou faith? have it to thyself before God. Happy is he that condemneth not himself in that thing which he alloweth.  And he that doubteth is damned . . . for whatsoever is not of faith is sin."

Recently, a sweet Christian lady was defending someone who was among a very small group of "suspects" accused of stealing something.  Because she loved the individual, her response was to share her view by using Matthew 7:1-5, which says, "Judge not, that ye be not judged.  For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.  And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?  Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam [is] in thine own eye?  Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye."

Here is my response to her:  "I love that quote from Matthew 7:1-5! And I totally agree with it, as it is the Word of God. I have preached it on several occasions. But you know what I noticed that few ever realize?   Both "beams" and "motes" are sins!   Both need to be removed!   In other words, you are right; "there is only One who shall pass judgment" and EVERYONE will stand before Him at one of two judgments. Those who have been born again by faith in the Crucified and Resurrected Son of God, will be judged for their works done for Him at the Judgment Seat of Christ (Rom. 14:10; 1 Cor. 3:10-15; 2 Cor. 5:10); those who have failed to turn their lives over to Him will be judged in another judgment, the Great White Throne Judgment, and spend eternity in the Lake of Fire (Rev. 20:11-15). God blessings to you and yours."

Jesus told the woman caught in the act of adultery, "Go and sin no more" (Jn. 8:11).  He had shamed her accusers into leaving her with Him, and yet, He wasn't excusing the sin of the woman.  You often hear it said, "Two wrongs don't make a right."  That is certainly true, but both are wrongs!
 
We cannot let the fact that "no one is perfect," keep us from trying to be!  

No comments:

Post a Comment