Thursday, August 18, 2016

WHAT DOES THE BIBLE MEAN BY GRACE

Born again believers are always talking about "grace!"  And if we are not talking about it, we are singing about it!  The most famous hymn today, it is played at most funerals, and more often than not, it is played at funerals in motion pictures.  This hymn pretty much grasps the biblical idea of "grace."  It goes like this:

Amazing grace, how sweet the sound that saved a wretch like me.
I once was lost, but now I'm found; was blind but now I see.                
'Twas grace that taught my heart to fear, and grace my fears relieved.
How precious did that grace appear the hour I first believed.                
Through many dangers, toils and snares, I have already come;
'Tis grace has brought me safe thus far, and grace will lead me home.  
The Lord has promised good to me; His Word my hope secures;
He will my shield and portion be, as long as life endures.                      
Yea, when this flesh and heart shall fail, and mortal life shall cease,
I shall possess within the veil, a life of joy and peace.                            
When we've been there ten thousand years, bright shining as the sun,
We've no less days to sing God's praise than when we've first begun!    

  The Hebrew word translated grace is  חֵן (chen), occuring 69 times in the Old Testament.  The Greek word translated grace is  χάρις (charis), occurs 156 times in the New Testament.  "Grace" has been defined as "unmerited favor" (Eph. 2:8-9); it is not something we can earn by good works, but it is His gift to all who trust in Jesus!  As I understand it, that means God loves us in spite of who we are, or what we have done (Rom. 5:8).  But more than that, He demonstrated His love by sacrificing His Son as full payment for our sin (Jn. 3:14-18).  And just as He raised Jesus up from the dead, He promises to do the same for whosoever will call His Son Lord (Rom. 3:23, 5:8; 6:23; 10:8-10; etc.)!  Because all have sinned and deserve death, He has offered forgiveness; Jesus took our place, dying for us, and more than that, He has also offered to give us His righteousness (2 Cor. 5:21)!!!

Grace is the gift to us from God!
Rom. 5:15 - "... the grace of God, and the gift by grace, which is by one man, Jesus Christ."Rom. 5:17 - "...receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness shall reign in life by one, Jesus Christ."
Eph. 2:8 - "For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God."

THANKS BE TO GOD FOR HIS AMAZING GRACE TOWARD US!

No comments:

Post a Comment