Thursday, January 30, 2014

WHAT'S WITH ALL THE TALK ABOUT HIS BLOOD?

Christianity is accused of being a religion fixated on blood!  In fact, the "Founder" of Christianity is quoted as saying,

"I am the living bread which came down from heaven: if any man eat of this bread, he shall live for ever: and the bread that I will give is My flesh, which I will give for the life of the world.  The Jews therefore strove among themselves, saying, How can this man give us His flesh to eat?  Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of Man, and drink His blood, ye have no life in you.  Whoso eateth My flesh, and drinketh My blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day.  For My flesh is meat indeed, and My blood is drink indeed.  He that eateth My flesh, and drinketh My blood, dwelleth in Me, and I in him.  As the living Father hath sent Me, and I live by the Father: so he that eateth Me, even he shall live by Me.  This is that bread which came down from heaven: not as your fathers did eat manna, and are dead: he that eateth of this bread shall live for ever" (Jn. 6:51-58).

It seems barbaric for someone to say those things, but only to those who do not understand what Jesus meant when He said them.  Those things were said before an audience of unbelievers.  Like speaking in parables, He did not intend them to understand.  Later, when He taught His disciples at His last supper, He made it clear that He was not speaking literally, but that literal bread and literal wine represented His body and blood (Mt. 26:26-28).  This was later confirmed by the Apostle Paul (1 Cor. 11:23-31). 

Here are some points worth noting:
*  The punishment for sin is a death - Rom. 6:23!
*  That death requires the shedding of blood - Heb. 9:22!
*  To shed someone's blood is to take their life - Lev. 17:11!
*  Jesus' blood is the propitiation (satisfaction) of our debt - Rom. 3:25!
*  His blood cleanses us from all unrighteousness - 1 Jn. 1:7!
*  We are made righteous by faith in Jesus - 2 Cor. 5:21!
*  We are justified before God by His blood - Rom. 5:9!
*  We are redeemed from the bondage of sin by His blood - Eph. 1:7!
*  We have peace with God by His blood - Col. 1:20!
*  We can enter God's presence because of His blood - Heb. 10:19!
*  We are forever related to the Father through His blood - Heb. 13:20!
*  Even our clothing is holy because of His blood - Rev. 7:14!

Without the shedding of Christ's blood, there is no Gospel. 
Without the Gospel, there is no hope!

    

No comments:

Post a Comment