Tuesday, August 7, 2018

PASTORS ARE TO LEAD; THEIR SHEEP ARE TO FOLLOW!

As a former member of the U.S. Navy Blue Angels, and a current member of the Blue Angels Alumni Association, I frequently see comments posted on Facebook about the "good old days," and announcements of reunions, current events, and information on the passing of a former member.  There are often pictures and videos that members share with the rest of us.  The other day, there was a post to which one of the members responded by saying somethings to the effect that "political and religious comments do not belong on this site."  While I definitely have opinions on both topics, I understood the desire to keep them off, as most often, they divide groups and hamper fellowship.  That got me thinking:  in a democracy, freedom of speech is not really as "free" as we often think.  Our political and/or religious views often offend others, and make it difficult to maintain harmony and fellowship.  So, because the group site is based upon what we all have in common, and its focus is on camaraderie, I have refrained from sharing my thoughts on the subjects, especially since I was asked to do so years ago.  I will respect the others, and should they want to hear my thoughts on my faith in Jesus, I hope they will "message me."   

However, on my blog, I have the right to give my opinion on whatever subjects I choose, and often have as many of my faithful readers know.  But have you ever noticed that I seldom, if ever, write about politics?  Perhaps that is because someone etched in my brain "if you can't say something nice, don't say nothin' at all!"  I haven't had anything "nice" to say about politics for decades!  No, nearly all of my posts are simply Bible studies in which I "take notes" each day.  I guess you might say it is more a journal than a blog.  That being said, today's topic is about a trend I see happening in churches, that has me somewhat concerned.  The church was originated to carry out Christ's will:  it is to preach the Gospel to the lost, to baptize those who believe it, and to teach God's Word to guide, feed, and protect God's flock  (Mt. 28:19-20)!  The Lord has chosen shepherds to lead His flock.  These leaders are supposed to be "following the Spirit's lead," and the "sheep" will follow the voice of  "their pastor."  But, today's church is led by men who ask the sheep what it is that will make them happy.  The Pastor's job is not to make everybody happy; it is to teach, reprove, correct, and instruct in righteousness (2 Tim. 3:16)!  

What we are seeing is the church being led by the people; there is just such a church found in the Book of Revelation.  John wrote:  "And unto the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write; These things saith the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of the creation of God; I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot" (Rev. 3:14-15).  This is the only letter of the seven that is addressed to the people; the others are addressed to the church in a particular city.  "Laodicea" means "a democracy," or "the people rule."  The church is not a democracy; it is a theocracy!  Jesus is the Head of the church (Col. 1:12-18)!  And yet, we read in Revelation 3:20, Jesus is not even involved in their church - He stands outside knocking to be invited in!  

So my advice to pastors everywhere:  focus upon listening to the Lord, and lead!  If the sheep will not hear and follow, so be it!  Perhaps good leadership is a "tool of the Lord" to "thin out the herd." 

No comments:

Post a Comment