Wednesday, August 15, 2018

SOME THINGS I LEARNED WHILE I WAS AWAY!

BACKGROUND CONTEXT!

In 2009, I was hospitalized with dozens of blood clots in my lungs.  I was told that the situation was extremely dangerous, and that it was quite possible that I might die.  The day following being admitted to Intensive Care, I received two separate visits from two pastors:  one was the Pastor of our home church, and one was by the Pastor of a concerned friend.  Both asked if they could pray for me.  My response to each was the same:  "Pray that I live only if God opens the door of a ministry in which I can serve Him."  Health issues had caused me to retire in 2006, and I missed being able to minister to others.  I survived (obviously), and soon after, I received a phone call that suggested I write a Bible study blog.  The caller helped me set up the blog, and on November 5, 2009, my first post was a test to see if we had set it up correctly:  it contained but one sentence:  "THIS IS MY FIRST POSTING ON MY NEW BLOG."  

RECENT EVENTS!

On August 10th, I was rushed by ambulance to the same hospital.  By the time I was admitted to ICU, I had "coded" at least twelve times, and on one of the "zaps" to stabilize my heart, I discovered what it feels like to be hit by "an electric sledgehammer!"  Thank God I was not aware during the others!  That one was plenty to know I didn't want anymore!  My cardiologist believes that I had either lost too much potassium due to a combination of diuretics to deal with swelling from Coronary Heart Disease, or that I had been taking Amiodorone so long that it had become toxic, or both.  Yesterday (August 14th), the hospital released me.  I have several "follow-ups" with various doctors ahead of me.  

SOME THINGS I LEARNED!

First of all, when professionals want me to go to the hospital, I need to listen.  I had refused to go with the EMTs the previous night, because I didn't think choking on food warranted  a trip to the hospital.  I had not realized that I choked due to heart issues.  Besides, to me, death has always but a door into an eternity with Jesus and what Christian wants to continue living in this "cesspool" of a world?   However, seeing the panic in the face of my sweet wife of 56 years, actually got through to me that my leaving this orb was a very selfish desire!  Life is not all about me!

Secondly, God only allows Satan to attack the child of God, for one of three reasons:  1) to correct His child; 2) to work that which is good for His child, and to reveal His glory through it all; or  3) God is using "the angel of death" (Heb. 2:14) to bring the child home to Him in heaven!  Hopefully, my experience falls under category two!  It was no coincidence that all three of my daughters were in town at the time of my episode.  I had the blessing of being comforted by them and their mother had them there to be with her, as well!


Thirdly, I discovered that there are many people, Christian or not, who are used by God to provide for His children, and to do so with gentleness, and compassion!  There was not one individual involved in my recent experience, who had a bad attitude:  everyone was such a blessing to me!  Jeffersonville EMTs, and the entire hospital staff at Clark County Hospital, from food workers, custodians, clerical workers, nurses, and the doctors, were "there for" me and my family!  In spite of a world that is rushing head-long into total racism, anarchy, and a thirst for blood, there are still many, many, who care about their fellow human beings!  In other words, things could be a whole lot worse!

Unfortunately, that day is rapidly approaching!  The Bible tells us that God is about to remove born again believers (Jn. 3:5-8; 14:1-3; 1 Cor. 15:50-54; 1 Th. 1:10; 4;13-18; 5:9; Rev. 4:1; etc.), and that this world will experience seven years of Tribulation, in which more than half of the world's population will die (Rev. 6:8 with 9:15)!  And even though many of those ministering to me are wonderful, loving people, their "works" will not get them into heaven (Eph. 1:8-9; Titus 3:5)!  They must believe that Jesus died for their sins, that He was buried, and that He rose from the dead, all according to that which was prophesied of Him (Lk. 24:13-35; 1 Cor. 15:1-4, 50-54; etc.)!  John wrote:  "Jesus said unto him, I AM the Way, the Truth, and the Life:  no man comes unto the Father, but by Me" (Jn. 14:6). 

I am very grateful to all those 
whom God used to minister to me, 
but nothing would please me more
than that they all trust in Jesus Christ, 
and spend eternity with me!  
Trust in Jesus today!









No comments:

Post a Comment