Saturday, January 21, 2017

FEELING DOWN? LISTEN UP!

GOD SPOKE TO THE EARLY CHURCH

*  Matthew 3:16-17 - "And Jesus, when He was baptized, went up straightway out of the water:  and behold, the heavens were opened unto Him, and He saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon Him:  and behold, a voice from heaven, saying, This is My beloved Son, in Whom I am well pleased."
*  Matthew 17:4-5 - "Then Peter said unto Jesus, Lord, it is good for us to be here:  if You will it, let us make here three tabernacles; one for You, and one for Moses, and one for Elijah.  While he was still speaking, behold, a bright cloud overshadowed them:  and behold a voice out of the cloud, which said, This is My beloved Son, in Whom I am well pleased; listen to Him."
*  John 12:27-28 - Jesus said, "Now is My soul troubled; and what shall I say?  Father, save Me from this hour:  but for this cause came I unto this hour.  Father, glorify Your name.  Then came there a voice from heaven, saying, I have both glorified it, and will glorify it again."
*  Acts 9:3-5 - "And as he journeyed, he came near Damascus: and suddenly there shined round about him a light from heaven:  and he fell to the earth, and heard a voice saying unto him, Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting Me?  And he said, Who are You, Lord?  And the Lord said, I am Jesus whom You persecute...."
*  Acts 10:13-15 - "And there came a voice to him, Rise, Peter; kill, and eat.  But Peter said, Not so, Lord; for I have never eaten anything that is common or unclean.  And the voice spoke unto him again the second time, What God has cleansed, do not call it common."

GOD STILL SPEAKS TO HIS CHILDREN

When trying to console a widow with three small children and no income, I was overwhelmed with grief to the point of sobbing uncontrollably.  I heard a voice saying, "You wanted to love as I love; see, you cannot handle it!  Wait, and I will teach you to love in time."

When I was at my lowest due to my inability to learn Greek at seminary, I picked up a copy of Our Daily Bread, seeking encouragement, and I heard a voice say "Turn to September second."  I hesitated, and I heard the voice twice more - "Turn to September second."  When I finally did, I saw the title of the devotion which said, "Love Softens the Hardest Hearts."  Immediately, I was aware that it was on that date, while in my first chapel service at seminary, I had been overcome with grief; and now, over two months later, I understood what had happened:  I had been resentful of God for sending me to a liberal school, instead of to Grace Seminary, a conservative school; now, two months later, I realized what had occurred in that chapel service:  God had softened my heart, and changed my resentment into a desire to be there.  Knowing that, I was encouraged and went on to graduate.  I still had trouble with Greek, but I passed it!

When a small rural church called me to be their pastor, my wife refused to go with me.  Depressed, I fell asleep while praying for God's direction.  When I awoke, I heard a voice say, "You go and let her come on the weekends."  When I told my wife what I had heard, she agreed to that.  Two months later, she told me she wanted to sell our house and she would move to be with me!   Praise God!
 
God still speaks to His "kids!"  So, be still and listen to His still, small voice!

No comments:

Post a Comment