"THE GREAT COMMISSION"* Matthew 28:18-20 - And Jesus came and spoke to them, saying, All power is given unto Me in heaven and in earth. Go therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and know that I am with you always, even unto the end of the age. Amen.
- His Father had given Jesus total authority over the Church (Phil. 2:9-11)!
- His "teach all nations" means for them to preach the Gospel (Rom. 1:16; 1 Cor. 15:2-3)!
- Then they were to baptize all who believed the Gospel (Mt. 3:11; Acts 2:38, 41, 47)!
- Finally, believers were to be taught as new babes-in-Christ (1 Pet. 2:2)!
"THE BIRTH OF THE CHURCH"* Acts 2:41-47 - (When) they that gladly received (the Gospel), (they) were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls. And they continued steadfastly in the apostles' (teaching) and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers. And fear came upon every soul: and many wonders and signs were done by the apostles. And all that believed were together, and had all things common; and sold their possessions and goods, and parted them to all, as every man had need. And they, continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, did eat their meat with gladness and singleness of heart, praising God, and having favor with all the people. And the Lord added to the Church daily such as should be saved.
"FELLOWSHIP MUST BE BASED UPON THE WORD OF GOD"* 1 Corinthians 1:9-10 - God is faithful, by Whom you were called unto the fellowship of His Son Jesus Christ our Lord. Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that you be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment.
* Philippians 1:3-6 - I thank my God upon every remembrance of you, always in every prayer of mine for you all making request with joy, for your fellowship in the Gospel from the first day until now; being confident of this very thing, that He Who has begun a good work in you, will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ.
* 1 John 1:3-9 - (Him, Whom) we have seen and heard, we declare unto you, that you also may have fellowship with us: and truly our fellowship is with the Father, and with His Son Jesus Christ. And these things we write to you, that your joy may be full. This then is the message which we have heard of Him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in Him is no darkness at all. If we say that we have fellowship with Him, and walk in darkness, we lie...but if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin. If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. (But) if we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.