Tuesday, March 6, 2018

O WRETCHED MAN THAT I AM - YOUR DAYS ARE NUMBERED!

My wife and I have been married for nearly fifty-six years, and usually, when we are asked, our answer brings both surprise and amazement; that is because those who ask know me, and they immediately express admiration for my "poor wife."  I was nineteen and she was seventeen on June 16th, 1962, when we embarked on a roller-coaster life together.  First, let me say that I was, and often still am, an idiot!  During the first eight plus years of marriage, I was unfaithful.  Today, we hear people try to describe infidelity as "an indiscretion," "an affair," or in the worst cases, "an open marriage!"  In reality, it is adultery, and it is forbidden in both the Old and the New Testaments!  In my defense (there really is no defense for it), I was not a born again believer.  I became a Christian on January 31st, 1971.  Although I have not been physically unfaithful to my loving and forgiving wife since that day, I now realize that having impure thoughts about a woman to whom I am not married, is just as bad.  I wish I could say that I have not succumbed to the sin of lust, and while I do try to avoid it, even at seventy-five, I occasionally catch myself thinks impure thoughts.  I cannot wait until I finally have the "mind of Christ" (1 John 3:2)!

Here are just a few of the Bible's statements concerning adultery:

Exodus 20:14 - You shalt not commit adultery

Leviticus 20:10 - And the man that commits adultery with another man's wife, even he that commits adultery with his neighbor's wife, the adulterer AND the adulteress shall surely be put to death.

Matthew 5:27-28,  31-32 -  Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery:  but I say unto you, That whosoever looks on a woman to lust after her has committed adultery with her already in his heart.....It has been said, Whosoever shall put away his wife, let him give her a writing of divorcement:  but I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causes her to commit adultery:  and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced commits adultery.

Matthew 19:3-9 - The Pharisees also came unto Him, tempting Him, and saying unto Him, Is it lawful for a man to put away his wife for every cause?  And He answered and said unto them, Have you not read, that He which made them at the beginning made them male and female, and said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh?  Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh.  What therefore God has joined together, let not man put asunder [χωρίζω (chorizo), meaning to divide, separate, divorce].  They said unto Him, Why did Moses then command to give a writing of divorcement, and to put her away?  He said unto them, Moses, because of the hardness of your hearts, allowed you to put away your wives:  but from the beginning it was not so.  And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, commits adultery:  and whoso marries her which is put away does commit adultery.

John 8:3-11 - And the scribes and Pharisees brought unto Him a woman taken in adultery; and when they had set her in the midst, they said unto Him, Master, this woman was taken in adultery, in the very act (if she was caught in the very act, where is the man?)Now Moses in the Law commanded us, that such should be stoned:  but what do You say?  This they said, tempting Him, that they might have to accuse Him.  But Jesus stooped down, and with His finger wrote on the ground, as though He heard them not.  So when they continued asking Him, He lifted up Himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.  And again He stooped down, and wrote on the ground.  And they which heard it, being convicted by their own conscience, went out one by one, beginning at the eldest, even unto the last: and Jesus was left alone, and the woman standing in the midst.  When Jesus had lifted up Himself, and saw none but the woman, He said unto her, Woman, where are your accusers?  Has no man condemned you?   She said, No man, Lord.  And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn you:  go, and sin no more.

I am thankful for a loving and forgiving wife, but even more thankful that Jesus died to pay for my sins, and that He forgives me!  Sin is sin!  Jesus took our sin and gave us His righteousness in return (2 Corinthians 5:21)!  Those who believe He died for their sins, and that the Father raised Him from the dead, are saved (Romans 10:9-10)!  

IT WILL NOT BE LONG BEFORE HE WILL RETURN FOR US;
I CANNOT WAIT TO SHED THIS OLD MIND AND BODY, AND
BE MADE INTO THE VERY LIKENESS OF JESUS CHRIST!





No comments:

Post a Comment