There are two kinds of people who say they are believers in Jesus Christ:
(1) Born-again Christians - Individuals who live their lives in gratitude; according to the leading of the Holy Spirit, according to God's Word - their light shatters the darkness; and
(2) Professing Christians - Individuals who live their lives according to the flesh, and whose lives not only fail to shine so that the lost are drawn to Jesus, but they live their lives in such a way as to block the light from reaching those needing to see it: they themselves, cast shadows!
RELIGIOUS WORKS CAST SHADOWS!* Romans 4:2-5 - "For if Abraham were justified by works, he hath whereof to glory; but not before God. For what saith the Scripture? Abraham believed God, and it was counted unto him for righteousness. Now to him that worketh is the reward not reckoned of grace, but of debt. But to him that worketh not, but believeth on Him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness."
* Ephesians 2:8-9 - "For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast."
* Titus 3:5-7 - "Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to His mercy He saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost. Who He shed on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Saviour; that being justified by His grace, we should be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life."
THE FATHER'S WORKS PRODUCE LIGHT!* Matthew 5:14-16 - "Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid. Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house. Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father Who is in heaven."
* Ephesians 2:10 - "For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them."
* Philippians 1:6; 2:13 - "Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ....For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure."
* Titus 3:8 - "This is a faithful saying, and these things I will that thou affirm constantly, that they which have believed in God might be careful to maintain good works. These things are good and profitable unto men."
HOW TO TELL THE DIFFERENCE!* Matthew 7:16-20 - "Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles? Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit. A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit....Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them."
* Galatians 5:16-26 - "This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh. For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other....Now THE WORKS OF THE FLESH are manifest, which are these; adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God. But THE FRUIT OF THE SPIRIT is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance: against such there is no Law."
THEREFORE* Galatians 5:13-16 - "For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only use not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another. For all the Law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself....This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh."