Monday, January 14, 2019

OPEN MOUTH, INSERT FOOT: AN APOLOGY FOR BEING STUPID!


AN APOLOGY TO ALL WHO WERE OFFENDED BY MY POST ON FACEBOOK!

In my concern for the church my family has been members of for over twenty-five years, I wrote a lengthy post expressing what I see as a potential source of disunity, and even of a church-split.  Let me begin with the fact that I have not been able to attend due to health issues for over a year, so all the information upon which I was basing my concerns, came from various members of the church who shared their concerns with me.  In addition, I was visited twice by our senior pastor, who informed me of his resignation, and shared with me the intentions of the elders in choosing his replacement.  I understood him to say that they intended to interview the two "under-shepherds" and see if they were interested in being his replacement.  When both responded in the affirmative, he said that, because all three of them had worked so well together, and that they had been faithful in fulfilling their areas of ministry, the elders were going to pray for God's lead in choosing one of them, if that was His intention for our church.  He also said that should they not get a clear indication from God, that they would form a pastoral selection committee and interview others interested in coming to serve.

In the mean time, one of the two "under-shepherds" visited us on several occasions and even helped us with some physical tasks that we were unable to do ourselves.  On one of his visits, he told us about the things the senior pastor had shared, and we let him know we had been informed of most of what he told us earlier.  During his last visit, he informed us that he was withdrawing his name from the list of candidates because he felt that the church was becoming polarized with his fellow pastor and him as the "poles."  He said he did not want to pursue the position any longer due to his fear of how the congregation would respond should either he or the other being chosen.

Unfortunately, I mistakenly saw the situation as being similar to the two women claiming the living child was theirs (1 Kings 3).  I did not consider the implications that the one remaining in the running was guilty of deceit and selfishness, to say the least.  I was focused upon the good motives of his withdrawal, even stating I had no idea of the thoughts or motives of the one left to be considered.

Some members were quick to point out my error, but by that time, the post had already received several pro and con responses.  I wrote an apology, and deleted my initial post, not realizing that my apology would also be deleted.  Soooo!  I am writing this hoping those offended will see it.

One person responding likened the situation as being like that of Paul and Silas' disagreement over Mark accompanying them on their missionary journey.  I am afraid that example is also inadequate in that it paints the two factions as being stubborn and unforgiving.  I do not see either of the "two camps" as having those issues.  Perhaps there is no Bible example that illustrates the current situation, and so, I not only withdraw my poor choice, but believe I had better quit trying while I am behind!

I genuinely love both of the young men and am grateful that they have had such a conflict free relationship with our senior pastor, and each other.  The Lord will choose the one He wants, and all the congregation should accept and support His choice.  What would be nice is if the Rapture would take place so that none of this will matter at all!  Come Lord Jesus!

No comments:

Post a Comment