RIGHTEOUSNESS DEFINED"Righteousness" may be defined as "the state of him who is as he ought to be; the only condition of man that is acceptable to God." There are two kinds of righteousness: the false righteousness which man attempts to earn through religious works, and the only genuine righteousness which is a free gift from God to those who trust in Him. Scripture is from the Skip's Lighthouse Version.
THE FUTILITY OF TRYING TO EARN ONE'S OWN RIGHTEOUS* Isaiah 64:6 - But we are all unclean, and all our righteousness is as a filthy rag....
* Romans 3:10 - As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one.
* Romans 10:3 - For they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have failed to accept the righteousness of God.
* Galatians 2:21 - I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness was achievable by the Law, then Christ died in vain.
TRUE RIGHTEOUSNESS IS A FREE GIFT FROM GOD* Matthew 6:33 - But seek first the kingdom of God, and His righteousness....
* Romans 1:17 - For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.
* Romans 3:22 - Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe.
* Romans 4:3-5 - For what does the Scripture say? Abraham believed God, and it was counted unto him for righteousness. Now to him who does religious works, is the reward not reckoned of grace, but of debt. But to him who does not trust in his own works, but believes on Him Who justifies the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.
* Romans 10:9-10 - ...if you confess that Jesus is your Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. For with the heart man believes unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.
* 2 Corinthians 5:21 - For the Father made Jesus to be sin for us, Who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in Him.
* Philippians 3:9 - And be found in Him, not having mine own righteousness, which is by the works of the Law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith.
* Titus 3:5 - Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to His mercy He saved us....
HIS RIGHTEOUSNESS IS GRANTED TO ALL WHO TRUST IN JESUS
* Revelation 19:7-8 - Let us be glad and rejoice, and give honor to Him: for the marriage of the Lamb is come, and His wife has made herself ready. And to her was granted that she should be arrayed in fine linen, clean and white: for the fine linen is the righteousness of saints.