Salvation, being born again, cannot be earned by religious works! The Word of God makes it clear that salvation is God's free gift to those who believe in the finished work of Christ on the cross. Below are several references concerning the gift of salvation, and I have attempted to make them clear by wording them as I understand them; That is why they are not in quotation marks. In other words, they are from "Skip's Lighthouse Version."
* Matthew 7:11 - If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your Father Who is in heaven give good things to those who ask Him?
* John 4:10 - Jesus answered and said unto her, If you knew the gift of God, and Who it is that says to you, Give me to drink; you would have asked of Him, and He would have given you living water.
* Acts 2:38 - Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
* Acts 10:45 - And those of the circumcision who believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because the gift of the Holy Ghost was poured out on the Gentiles also.
* Acts 11:17 - Forasmuch then as God gave them the same gift as He did unto us who believed on the Lord Jesus Christ, who was I, that I should withstand God?
* Romans 5:15-18 - But there is a great difference between Adam's sin and God's free gift. For the sin of this one man, Adam, brought death to many. But even greater is God's wonderful grace and His free gift of forgiveness to many through Jesus Christ. And the result of God's free gift is very different from the result of Adam's sin. For Adam's sin led to condemnation, but God's free gift leads to our being made right with God, even though we are guilty of many sins. For the sin of Adam caused death to rule over