Salvation cannot be achieved by our religious works! It is a free gift to all who believe in Christ's Crucifixion for our sins, and His Resurrection as they are presented in the Scriptures (1 Corinthians 15:2-3)! Below is my understanding of the Scriptures which support this:
* Romans 3:23; 5:8; 6:23 - For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God.... But God demonstrated His love toward us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.... For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
* Romans 4:1-5 - What shall we say then that Abraham our father, as pertaining to the flesh, has found? For if Abraham were justified by works, he would have something about which to boast; but not before God. For what do the Scriptures say? Abraham believed God, and it was counted unto him for righteousness. Now to him who works, his reward is not reckoned of grace, but of debt. But to him who does not count on his own works, but believes on Him Who justifies the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.
* Ephesians 2:4-9 - But God, Who is rich in mercy, for His great love wherewith He loved us, even when we were dead in sins, has quickened us together with Christ, (by grace you are saved); and has raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus: so that in the ages to come He might show the exceeding riches of His grace in His kindness toward us through Christ Jesus. For by grace you are saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: not of works, lest any man should boast.
* Titus 3:3-7 - For we ourselves also were sometimes foolish, disobedient, deceived, serving divers lusts and pleasures, living in malice and envy, hateful, and hating one another. But after the kindness and love of God our Savior toward man appeared, not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to His mercy He saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost; Whom He shed on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Savior; that being justified by His grace, we should be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life.
* Romans 10:8-13 - If you shall confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord, and shall believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you shall be saved. For with the heart man believes unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. For the Scripture says, Whosoever believes on Him shall not be ashamed. For there is no difference between the Jew and the Gentile: for the same Lord over all is rich unto all who call upon Him. For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.